Skip to content ↓
St John’s CofE Primary School

St John’s CofE Primary School


St. John’s Church of England Primary School

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Report


Who is our Special Educational Needs and Disabilities co-ordinator (SENDCo) and how can he be contacted?

Mr. Daniel McEvilly BA(hons) MA

The date the SEND policy was agreed by Governors.

2nd May 2018

The date the SEND Policy is to be reviewed

May 2019

The date the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Report was agreed by Governors.

May 2019

The date the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Report is to be reviewed.

September 2019


  1. What are the aims of our provision in regards to pupils with special educational needs and/or disability?

The aims of our policy and practice in relation to special educational need and disability in this school are:

  • To make reasonable adjustments for those with a disability by taking action to increase access to the curriculum, the environment and to printed information for all.
  • To ensure that children with SEN engage in the activities of the school alongside pupils who do not have SEN.
  • To use our best endeavours to secure special educational provision for pupils for whom this is required, that is “additional to and different from” that provided within the differentiated curriculum, to better respond to the four broad areas of need:
  1. Communication and interaction,
  2. Cognition and learning,
  3. Social, mental and emotional health,
  4. Sensory/physical.
  • To request, monitor and respond to parent/carers’ and pupils’ views in order to evidence high levels of confidence and partnership.
  • To ensure a high level of staff expertise to meet pupil need, through well-targeted continuing professional development.
  • To support pupils with medical conditions to achieve full inclusion in all school activities by ensuring consultation with health and social care professionals in order to meet the medical needs of pupils.
  • To work in cooperative and productive partnership with the Local Authority and other outside agencies, to ensure there is a multi-professional approach to meeting the needs of all vulnerable learners.


  1. What are special educational needs (SEN) or a disability?

At our school we use the definition for SEN and for disability from the SEND Code of Practice (2015). This states:

  • Special Educational Needs: A child or young person has special educational needs if he or she has a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.
    • A learning difficulty or disability is a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age.
    • Special educational provision means educational or training provision that is additional to, or different from, that made generally for others of the same age in a mainstream setting in England
  • Disability: Many children and young people who have SEN may have a disability under the Equality Act 2010 – that is ‘…a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities’. This definition includes sensory impairments such as those affecting sight or hearing, and long-term health conditions such as asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, and cancer.


  1. What kind of special educational needs (SEN) provision is available at St. Johns?


  • Children and young people with SEN have different needs, but the general presumption is that all children with SEN but without an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) are welcome to apply for a place at our school, in line with the school admissions policy. If a place is available, we will undertake to use our best endeavours, in partnership with parents, to make the provision required to meet the SEN of pupils at this school.
  • For children with an EHCP, parents have the right to request a particular school and the local authority must comply with that preference and name the school or college in the EHC plan unless:
    • it would be unsuitable for the age, ability, aptitude or SEN of the child or young person, or
    • the attendance of the child or young person there would be incompatible with the efficient education of others, or the efficient use of resources.
  • Before making the decision to name our school in a child’s EHCP, the local authority will send the governing body a copy of the EHCP and then consider their comments very carefully before a final decision on placement is made. In addition, the local authority must also seek the agreement of school where the draft EHCP sets out any provision to be delivered on their premises that have been secured through a direct payment (personal budget).
  • Parents of a child with an EHCP also have the right to seek a place at a special school if it they consider that their child’s needs can be better met in specialist provision.


  1. How does St. Johns school know if children need extra help?

We know when a pupil needs help if:

  • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, external agencies, teachers, the pupil’s, previous school or the pupil themselves, regarding concerns relating to inadequate levels of progress or inclusion.
  • Screening, such as that completed on entry or as a result of a concern being raised, indicates gap in knowledge and/or skills.
  • Whole school tracking of attainment outcomes indicates lack of expected rate of progress.
  • Observation of the pupil indicates that they have additional needs


  1. What should a parent do if it thinks their child may have special educational needs?
  • If parents have concerns relating to their child’s learning or inclusion then please initially discuss these with your child’s teacher/subject teacher. This then may result in a referral to the school SENDCo whose name is Mr. Daniel McEvilly and who may be contacted via email at
  • Parents may also contact the SENDCo or the Headteacher directly if they feel this is more appropriate.
  • All parents will be listened to. Their views and their aspirations for their child will be central to the assessment and provision that is provided by the school.


  1. How will St. John’s support a child with SEND and what specialist services are available at the school?
  • All pupils will be provided with high quality teaching that is differentiated to meet the needs of all learners. The quality of classroom teaching provided to pupils with SEND is monitored through a number of processes that include:
  1. classroom observation by the senior leadership team, the SENDCo, external verifiers,
  2. ongoing assessment of progress made by pupils with SEND,
  3. work sampling and scrutiny of planning to ensure effective matching of work to pupil need,
  4. teacher meetings with the SENDCo to provide advice and guidance on meeting the needs of pupils with SEND,
  5. pupil and parent feedback on the quality and effectiveness of interventions provided,
  6. attendance and behaviour records.


  • Pupils with a disability will be provided with reasonable adjustments (such as auxiliary aids and services) to overcome any disadvantage experienced in schools and increase their access to the taught curriculum.
  • All pupils have individual national curriculum targets set in line with national outcomes to ensure ambition. Parents are informed of these via the reporting system and also at events such as Parents’ Evenings.
  • Pupils’ attainments are tracked using the whole school tracking system and those failing to make expected levels of progress are identified very quickly. These pupils are then discussed in termly progress meetings that are undertaken between the class/subject teacher and a member of the Senior Leadership team and if appropriate, the pupil themselves.
  • Additional action to increase the rate of progress will be then identified and recorded that will include a review of the impact of the differentiated teaching being provided to the child, and if required, provision to the teacher of additional strategies to further support the success of the pupil.
  • Where it is decided during this early discussion that special educational provision is required to support increased rates, parents will be informed that the school considers their child may require SEN support and their partnership sought in order to improve attainments. If agreed the child may be placed on the schools SEND register at this point.
  • Action relating to SEN support will follow an assess, plan, do and review model:
  1. Assess: Data on the pupil held by the school will be collated by the class/subject teacher/SENDCo in order to make an accurate assessment of the pupil’s needs. Parents will always be invited to this early discussion to support the identification of action to improve outcomes.
  2. Plan: If whilst reviewing the data it is decided that the pupil needs support “additional to and different from” quality first wave teaching in the views of all involved, including the parents and the pupil, a learning plan will be agreed based on appropriate evidence-based interventions identified, recorded and appropriate TA/class/subject teacher/outside agent will have identified as the lead. The plan will have a clear set of expected outcomes, which will include stretching and relevant academic and developmental targets that take into account parents’ aspirations for their child. Parents and the pupil will also be consulted on the action they can take to support attainment of the desired outcomes.
  3. Do: SEN support will be implemented by the identified lead recording progress where necessary.
  4. Review: Progress towards these outcomes will be tracked and reviewed termly with the parents and the pupil.

If progress rates are judged to be inadequate despite the delivery of high quality interventions, advice will always be sought from external agencies regarding strategies to best meet the specific needs of a pupil. This will only be undertaken after parent permission has been obtained and may include referral to:

  1. Local Authority Support Services
  2. Chadsgrove Learning Support Team
  3. Educational psychologists
  4. Specialists in other schools e.g. teaching schools, special schools.
  5. Social Services
  6. Health partners such as School Nurse and Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service

N.B. For a very small percentage of pupils, whose needs are significant, complex and the SEN Support required to meet their needs cannot reasonably be provided from within the school’s own resources, a request will be made to the local authority to conduct an assessment of education, health and care needs. This may result in an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan being provided.


  1. How will pupils/parents be involved in decisions regarding provision that can better meet their needs?

St. John’s has a single page profile for all pupils on their SEND register. These have been originally written by teachers based on their knowledge of the pupil and the information we received from pervious setting or from first hand experiences. These are reviewed at pupil plan meetings across the year. Parents can also request information be put on these whenever necessary throughout the year.

When evaluating a pupil’s progress and deciding if a pupil needs support, school staff will also involve pupils and parents and let them have a say in what happens next.


  1.  How will the curriculum be matched to each child’s needs?
  • Teachers plan using pupils’ achievement levels, differentiating and scaffolding tasks to ensure progress for every pupil in the classroom.
  • When a pupil has been identified as having special educational needs, the curriculum and the learning environment will be further adapted by the class teacher to reduce barriers to learning and enable them to access the curriculum more easily.
  • These adaptations may include strategies suggested by the Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCo) and/or external specialists.
  • In addition, if it is considered appropriate, pupils may be provided with specialised equipment or resources such as ICT and/or additional adult help. All actions taken by the class/subject teachers will be recorded on our Provision Map and shared with parents.


  1.  How will parents know how their child is doing?
  • Attainments and progress towards the identified curriculum targets will be shared with parents through parents’ evenings and school reports.
  • Attainments towards the identified learning plan outcomes will be shared with parents at arranged plan reviews.
  • Parents may also find the home-school diary and epraise a useful tool to use to communicate with school staff on a more regular basis.
  • Parents are encouraged to arrange an appointment to discuss their child’s progress, at any time when they feel concerned or have information they feel they would like to share that could impact on their child’s success. In the first instance this should be with the class/subject teacher. If necessary these staff members may refer you to SENDCo or a member of the senior leadership team. Please contact the school office who will arrange this appointment for you. The contact number is 01562 745558.


  1.  How will parents be helped to support their child’s learning?
  • Please look at the school website. It can be found at  and includes links to websites and resources that we have found useful in supporting parents to help their child learn at home.
  • The class/subject teacher and/or SENDCo may also suggest additional ways of supporting your child’s learning.
  • If you have ideas on support that you would like to have access to in order to further support your child’s learning, please contact the SENDCo who will locate information and guidance for you in this area


  1.  How will St. John’s evaluate the effectiveness of the SEN provision made for pupils?

The effectiveness of SEN provision will be measured using both qualitative and quantitative data. Qualitative data will gather the views of parents and pupils on how successful the provision has been in enabling pupils to attain their learning plan outcomes. Quantitative data will examine both progress and attainment levels compared to those achieved nationally for pupils with the same level prior learning level. This data will be shared termly with governors and be judged by external moderators such as Ofsted.



  1.  What support will there be for children overall well-being?

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils. This includes:

  • An evaluated Personal, Social, Health and Economic (PHSE) curriculum that aims to provide pupils with the knowledge, understanding and skills they need to enhance their emotional and social knowledge and well-being. Please visit our website to see the topics that are included within this area of the curriculum.
  • Small group evidence-led interventions to support pupil’s well-being are delivered to targeted pupils and groups. These are then identified on each individual pupil’s.
  • Pupils who find outside class times difficult are provided with alternative small group opportunities within the school and action is taken to develop their social interaction skills.


  1.  How will St. John’s support pupils with medical needs?
  • Pupils with medical needs will be provided with a detailed Individual Health and Care Plan, compiled in partnership with the class teachers and parents and if appropriate, the pupil themselves.
  • Staff who volunteer to administer and supervise medications, will complete formal training and be verified by the school nurse as being competent.
  • All medicine administration procedures adhere to the LA policy and Department of Education (DfE) guidelines included within Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions (DfE) 2014.


  1.  What training do the staff supporting children and young people with SEND undertake?

In the last three years school staff have received a range of training at three levels; awareness, enhanced and specialist. Awareness training has been provided to all staff on:

  • Neurodiversity training
  • Dyslexia friendly classrooms
  • Speech and Language Training
  • Working memory

Specialist training has been provided to the SENDCo on:

  • The National Award in Special Education Needs Co-ordination.
  • Completed a Masters in Education with a focus on Dyslexia friendly practice and SEN provision.
  • Supporting Girls with the Autism Spectrum Condition

Specialist training and advice has been given to the school by:

  • The school has regular visits from SEN specialist teachers, particularly from Chadsgrove Teaching School, who provide advice to staff support the success and progress of individual pupils.
  • The NHS Speech Language Therapist visits termly to assess and plan support for targeted pupils.
  • The Governor with specific responsibility for SEN has completed the SEN Governor training.


  1.  How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?
  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate in all school activities.
  • The school ensures it has sufficient staff expertise to ensure that no child with SEND is excluded from any school provided activity.


  1.  How accessible is the school environment?

The school have the following adaptations to the school environment to help accessibility:

  • Disabled parking spot marked and located next to the school reception.
  • All steps edged with yellow to ensure they are easier for those with visual impairments to negotiate
  • The entire site is accessible to all without needing the use of stairs.
  • One toilet has been adapted to ensure accessibility for pupils, staff and visitors with a disability.

Our Accessibility Plan describes the actions the school has taken to increase access to the environment, the curriculum and to printed information is available via the school website.


  1.  How will the school prepare/support my child when joining or transferring to a new school?

A number of strategies are in place to enable effective pupils’ transition. These include: On entry:

  • A planned introduction programme is delivered in the Summer term to support transfer for pupils starting school in September.
  • Parent/carers are invited to a meeting at the school and are provided with a range of information to support them in enabling their child to settle into the school routine.
  • The SENDCo offers a meet and greet session with all new parents of pupils who are known to have SEND to allow concerns to be raised and solutions to any perceived challenges to be located prior to entry.
  • If pupils are transferring from another setting, the previous school records will be requested immediately, and a meeting set up with parents to identify and reduce any concerns.

Transition to the next school:

  • The transition programme in place for pupils provides a number of opportunities for pupils and parents to meet staff in the new school. These opportunities are further enhanced for pupils with SEND.
  • The annual review in year 5 for pupils with an EHCP begins the process where parents are supported to make decisions regarding Secondary School choice.
  • Parents will be encouraged to consider options for the next phase of education and the school will involve outside agencies, as appropriate, to ensure information provided is comprehensive but accessible.
  • Accompanied visits to other providers may be arranged as appropriate.
  • For pupils transferring to local schools, the SENDCos of both schools will meet to discuss the needs of pupils with SEN in order to ensure a smooth transition.
  • The records of pupils who leave the school mid-phase will be transferred within five working days of the parents notifying their child has been enrolled at another school.


  1. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

The school receives funding to respond to the needs of pupils with SEND from a number of sources that includes:

  • A proportion of the funds allocated per pupil to the school to provide for their education called the Age Weighted Pupil Unit.
  • The Notional SEN budget. This is a fund devolved to schools to support them to meet the needs of pupils with SEND.
  • For those pupils with an EHC Plan and complex needs, the school may be allocated additional educational needs funding from the Local Authorities High Needs SEN Funding allocation.

This funding is then used to provide the equipment and facilities to support pupils with special educational needs and disabilities through support that might include:

  • Targeted differentiation to increase access to text (desk copies of information, work buddy, accessible text, IT e.g. read aloud software, different recording strategies, additional time etc.)
  • In class, adult or peer support aimed at increasing skills in specific area of weakness (learning behaviours, organisation, etc)
  • Out of class support (relationship building, social, emotional skill development)
  • Small group tuition to enable catch up (subject or targeted at additional need)
  • Specific support, advice and guidance is provided to parents and families to improve pupil’s readiness for learning (relating to pupil’s difficulties in attendance, behaviour, physiological and emotional needs etc)
  • Provision of specialist resources or equipment (use of ICT, sloping board, electronic versions of text etc).
  • Partnership working with other settings (shared resources e.g. Chadsgrove Teaching School and Educational psychologists.)
  • Access to the school nurse and wider health professional support (responding to mental and physical health issues, speech, language and communication needs, motor control and mobility needs)
  • Access to support from in-school sources e.g. learning mentors or from charities and community sources.
  • Implementation of strategies from support agencies e.g. Behaviour Support/Educational Welfare Support.

In addition:

  • The Pupil Premium funding provides additional funding for pupils who are claiming Free School Meals, who are in the care of the local authority or whose parents are in the Armed Services. The deployment of this funding is published on the school website.
  • If parents wish to discuss the options available for their child, they are welcome to make an appointment to see the class/subject teacher, SENDCo or a member of the Senior Leadership Team.


  1.  How is the decision made about how much support each child will receive?
  • For pupils with SEN but without EHCP, the decision regarding the support provided will be taken at joint meetings with the SENDCo, class teacher and parent who will follow guidance provided by the Governing Body regarding SEN Funding deployment.
  • For pupils with an EHCP, this decision will be reached in agreement with parents when the EHCP is being produced or at an annual review.


  1. How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

This will be through:

  • discussions with the class teacher, SENDCo or senior leadership team member,
  • during parent’s evenings,
  • meetings with support and external agencies.


  1.  Who can I contact for further information or if I have any concerns?

If you wish to discuss your child’s special educational needs or are unhappy about any issues regarding the school’s response to meeting these needs, please contact the following:

  • Your child’s class teacher,
  • The Lead SEND Teaching Assistant – Mrs. Christine Galloway
  • The SENDCo – Mr. Daniel McEvilly
  • The Head Teacher – Mrs. Caroline Lowe

For complaints please follow the school’s complaints procedures which can be found on the school’s website.


  1.  Support services for parents of pupils with SEN include:
  • Information, Advice and Support Agency Network offers independent advice and support to parents and carers of all children and young people with SEND and will direct visitors to their nearest IAS service 
  • For parents who are unhappy with the Local Authority or school responses to their child’s SEND, parents may seek mediation from the regional mediation services. Information on this free service is located here 
  • Parents and carers can also appeal to the Government’s SEND tribunal if you disagree with the Local Authorities decisions about your child’s special educational needs. You can also appeal to the tribunal if the school or council has discriminated against your disabled child. Information on this process is available here
  • Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service are also available to discuss any concerns you may have, they are available on: 01905 768153


  1. The Worcestershire Local Authority’s Local Offer can be found: